2009-2011 Graduate Catalog 
    Dec 15, 2018  
2009-2011 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Policies

Academic Integrity

The University of New Haven is an academic community based on the principles of honesty, trust, fairness, respect, and responsibility. Academic integrity is a core University value that ensures respect for the academic reputation of the University, its students, its faculty and staff, and the academic credentials it confers. The University expects that students will learn in an environment where they work independently in the pursuit of knowledge, conduct themselves in an honest and ethical manner, and respect the intellectual work of others. Each member of the University community has a responsibility to be familiar with the definitions contained in, and to adhere to, the Academic Integrity Policy, which is found at http://www.newhaven.edu/unh/marketing/pdfs/handbook/handbook.pdf

Violations of the Academic Integrity Policy include, but are not limited to, the following examples: cheating, collaboration/collusion, plagiarism, fabrication, and facilitating academic dishonesty. This Policy provides details concerning proscribed behavior as well as the procedures that are triggered in the event of infractions.

Academic Records

For each student enrolled in the Graduate School, academic records are maintained and housed in the Graduate Records Office. Records include the application for admission and supporting documents such as test scores, transcripts of undergraduate and other prior study, letters of recommendation, course schedules, petitions filed by the student, and any other documents or correspondence pertaining to the student’s academic work. The Registrar is responsible for controlling access to and disclosure of students’ educational records. Students desiring to inspect or review their records should address a written, dated request to the Registrar/Graduate Records. Information regarding confidentiality, privacy, and right of access to student records can be obtained from the Registrar.


It is the responsibility of the student to attend all classes and to take examinations as scheduled. In the case of religious observance, students seeking an accommodation should consult with their instructor; faculty members receive periodic notices regarding religious holiday observances throughout the academic year.

Faculty have the right to require a standard of attendance, even if it conflicts with professional and job-related responsibilities of students. Students whose jobs require that they be absent from class must realize that it is their responsibility to determine whether such absence is permitted by the instructor, and to meet the requirements for making up missed classes if the instructor allows such time to be made up.

Make-Up Policy

Make-up examinations are a privilege extended to students at the discretion of the instructor, who may grant permission for make-up examinations to those students who miss an exam as a result of a medical problem, personal emergency, or previously announced absence. On the other hand, instructors may choose to adopt a “no make-up” policy. Students should refer to the instructor’s make-up policy in the course syllabus and if no mention is made therein, should inquire directly. A make-up test fee may be assessed when a student is permitted to make up an announced test during the term or to take an end-of term exam at a time other than the scheduled time. In either case, the make-up examination fee will be paid by the student at the Bursar’s Office.

Academic Standards

Course Grading System

The Graduate School uses the following grading system:

Superior performance:
  A+ 4.00 quality points
  A 4.00 quality points
  A- 3.70 quality points
Good performance:
  B+ 3.30 quality points
  B 3.00 quality points
  B- 2.70 quality points
Passing performance:
  C+ 2.30 quality points
  C 2.00 quality points
  C- 1.70 quality points
  F Zero quality points
Withdrawal from a course:
  W Zero quality points
  (See information on next page regarding incomplete courses.)
  INC Zero quality points
Thesis students who did not complete work during the term in which they originally registered:
  T Zero quality points
  (Students must complete the work within the time limit for completion of the degree.)
Audit (indicates that a student registered for and attended a class for no credit):
  AU Zero quality points
Pass/Fail courses:
  Pass: Carries credits toward the degree. Use is limited to thesis and Executive M.B.A. courses.
  P Zero quality points
Pass with distinction: Carries credits toward the degree. Use is limited to Executive M.B.A. courses.
  P+ Zero quality points
  F Zero quality points
Non-credit courses:
  Satisfactory performance in a non-credit course:
  S Zero quality points
  Unsatisfactory performance in a non-credit course:
  U Zero quality points

Any grade change from one letter to another must be in accordance with procedures adopted by the Faculty Senate.

Student Access to Final Grades

Final grades in each subject are available online soon after the close of each term, provided that financial obligations have been met and no other holds are in place.

Incomplete Course Work

A grade of Incomplete (INC) is given only in special circumstances, and indicates that the student has been given permission by the instructor to complete the course (with the same instructor) after the end of the trimester or term. If a student is required to attend class sessions for the course in a subsequent term, tuition must be paid for this second attendance.

Master’s-level students who receive a grade of INC should complete the work within three months after the end of the term. However, in extenuating circumstances, master’s-level students may have a longer time period specified by the instructor (not to exceed one year) to complete the course and have a grade submitted to the Registrar/Graduate Records.

Any exception to the one-year time limit must be in accordance with procedures adopted by the Faculty Senate.

Quality Point Ratio

The academic standing of each student is determined on the basis of the quality point ratio (QPR) earned each term. Each letter grade is assigned a quality point value, as described in the section “Course Grading System.”

To obtain the QPR, multiply the quality point value of each grade by the number of credits assigned to each course; then divide the sum of the quality points earned by the number of credits attempted (in courses for which a grade of A+ through C- or F is awarded). A cumulative QPR is obtained by calculating the QPR for all courses taken at the University of New Haven.

Academic Probation

Satisfactory progress is defined as a cumulative QPR of 3.0 or greater. Any student whose cumulative QPR is below 3.0 is placed on academic probation and is required to obtain written permission from the program coordinator to register for additional courses. This facilitates focused academic advisement and formulation of a suitable plan for the student. The program coordinator or designee may provide written conditions, beyond specifying the current term course registration, which would be included in the student’s academic record.


A student whose cumulative QPR is below 2.7 after completion of at least 15 credits is dismissed from the Graduate School.

A student who has been dismissed may submit an appeal to the Associate Provost for Graduate Studies. If the appeal is granted, written conditions for the student must accompany permission to continue in the Graduate School. These conditions would be included in the student’s academic record.

Repetition of Work

A student may repeat a course. The grade received in the subsequent attempt supersedes the original grade in the computation of the QPR if the new grade is higher. Both grades remain on the transcript. The course may be used only once for credit toward the requirements for the degree program.

Awarding of Degrees

The University awards degrees three times a year, in January, May and August. Commencement ceremonies are held in January and in May. A cumulative quality point ratio of 3.00 and completion of all program and University requirements are required for graduation and the conferring of master’s degrees. Students must file a graduation petition in order to have their names placed on the list of potential graduates.

Petition for Graduation

Candidates for January commencement must file a graduation petition with the Graduate Records Office no later than October 15. Candidates for May commencement must file no later than March 1. Candidates whose degrees will be awarded in August must file no later than June 15. Students completing the 5-year B.S./M.S. program in environmental science, the M.B.A./M.P.A. dual-degree program, or the M.B.A./M.S.I.E. dual-degree program must file two graduation petitions (one for each degree). Graduation petition forms are available (and may be submitted) online on the University website. A candidate who does not complete the requirements for graduation before the deadline, after having filed the petition to graduate, must petition again at a later date and pay a re-filing fee. All financial obligations to the University must be met prior to graduation.

Time Limit for Completion of Degree

A student must complete the requirements for the master’s degree or certificate within five years of the date of completion of the first course following formal application to the degree program. Any extension of the time limit for completion of the degree can be granted only after approval by the appropriate program coordinator and the Associate Provost for Graduate Studies.

Students who reach the five-year limit with fewer than 24 graduate credits completed at UNH must apply for readmission to their program, rather than for an extension. Students readmitted to a graduate program begin the five-year time limit again and are subject to the rules of the Graduate Catalog in effect at the date/time of readmission.

Residency Requirements for Master’s Degrees

Master’s degree programs have a 30-credit residency requirement, with the exception of the M.B.A./M.S.I.E. and M.B.A./M.P.A. dual degree programs, which have a 60-credit residency requirement. Credits toward the residency requirement may be earned at the Main Campus, at the off-campus locations, or through UNH distance learning courses. Credits applied toward the requirement for one graduate degree may not be counted toward the residency requirement for another degree. In other words, an additional 30-credit residency requirement applies for those students who plan to complete a second master’s degree program. The University policies for transfer of credit and waiver of courses apply in the same manner to candidates for a second master’s degree as to those enrolling in their first master’s program.

Full-Time Study

A full-time course of study at the graduate level is defined as enrollment for nine credits in the current term. Required courses, such as E 600 , count toward full-time study. Full-time graduate students are required to pay the University health service fee each year.

A student who wishes to enroll for more than 12 graduate credits/four courses in a given trimester must secure the permission of the program coordinator.

Part-Time Study

Part-time study at the master’s level is defined as registration for fewer than nine credits in the current term. Half-time study at the master’s level is defined as registration for a minimum of five credits in the current term. Registration for fewer than five credits qualifies as less than half-time study. Certificate programs may have limited scheduled course offerings and, therefore, are generally pursued on a part-time basis. International students with F-1 or J-1 immigration status may not enroll for programs that are offered only on a part-time basis.

Transfer Credit

A graduate course is acceptable for transfer to UNH if the following conditions are met:

  • The course is from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or from a foreign post-baccalaureate institution recognized by its local Ministry of Education as a degree-granting institution.
  • The student received a grade of B- (2.7 on a 4-point scale) or better (or a Pass in a Pass/Fail course, provided the institution documents that a Pass is equivalent to a B- or better).
  • The course has not been used previously to contribute to another credential.

The maximum number of credits a student may transfer is determined by the number of credits required by his or her program minus the 30-credit residency requirement. In all cases, an official transcript must be received directly from the institution where the course was taken and placed on file at UNH before transfer credit is awarded. Transfer credits are not included in courses used to establish a student’s GPR or residency requirement at the University of New Haven.

The equivalency of a transferred course to a UNH course is approved by the Registrar and by the chair of the department offering the equivalent course at UNH. The Registrar maintains an updated listing of courses from other institutions for which transfer credit has been approved in the past. For matriculated students, the department chair’s approval is required in order to assure that the transfer contributes properly to the student’s degree progress. Courses in disciplines for which UNH has no equivalent may be approved for transfer as elective credits in the student’s program. The Registrar and the student’s major department chair approve these transfers.

Graduate students currently matriculated at the University must secure written approval before taking courses at another institution if they wish to transfer credits into their UNH program. Authorization for transfer of courses must be obtained from the department(s) housing the student’s major and the related course at UNH. The Course Transfer Authorization form must be obtained online, approved by the department(s), and returned to the Registrar’s office before the course begins.

Waiver of Courses

Some programs permit waivers of core courses on the basis of undergraduate or graduate courses taken at accredited U.S. institutions or recognized foreign institutions. Waivers of elective courses or concentration courses are not permitted, nor are waivers based on life experience. For a course to be waived, a student must secure the written approval of the program coordinator, the department chair, or the chair’s designee in the department in which the waiver is requested. Even if a waiver has been granted, a student who wishes to take a waived course for review or as a refresher course may do so. However, tuition refunds are not granted for courses taken and subsequently waived.

Crediting Examinations

Under certain circumstances, students who have knowledge applicable to a specific course may apply for permission to take a crediting examination in lieu of taking the course. To qualify for a crediting examination, the student must have taken a similar course at either the graduate or undergraduate level; completed the equivalent work in non-credit training courses; or had extensive, related, on-the-job experience. Crediting examinations are subject to the following conditions:

  • If the student passes the examination, a grade of P is awarded.
  • The crediting examination is for required courses only (not for concentration courses or electives).
  • The credits awarded by examination do not count toward the residency requirement.
  • The crediting examination cannot be taken in the student’s last trimester of study.

Permission to take a crediting examination must be granted by the department chair or program coordinator of the student’s major, the chair of the department in which the course is offered, and the Associate Provost for Graduate Studies. Crediting examination permission forms are available online for printing and must be submitted to the Graduate Records Office. Once permission is granted and the crediting examination fee is paid, the examination is administered and graded by a full-time faculty member designated by the chair of the department that offers the course.


Students are expected to meet the prerequisite requirements for each course taken. Exceptions must be approved by the course instructor and the student’s advisor or program coordinator. Credit may be denied to a student who takes a course without having taken the prerequisites.

Dropping/Adding a Course

A student who wishes to drop or add a course during the approved period for such activity may do so online. Formal permission of the instructor is required to add a class after the first class meeting. If a student withdraws from a class after the first class meeting, the tuition refund policy is applied.

Comprehensive Examinations

Students who wish to schedule a comprehensive examination in order to complete their degree program must complete the appropriate comprehensive examination approval form, which is available online, and submit it to the Graduate Records Office after securing the necessary approvals and paying any required fees. Students should confirm arrangements for comprehensive examinations with the program coordinator.

Research Projects, Independent Study, and Internships

All academic programs leading to a master’s degree require the completion of a capstone work — a thesis, a substantial research or other project, or a comprehensive examination. Students must have the written approval of the advisor, department chair, and program coordinator prior to enrolling for the capstone program research or project. Approval forms are available from the University website and at Graduate Records. In some programs, the capstone research or special project is structured as an internship or independent study, the approval for which is covered by the aforementioned process. However, some programs permit or encourage internships or independent studies under the supervision of a faculty advisor as distinct from the capstone requirement. Written approval for these is also required, using forms available from the website. A student may not register for more than six credits of independent study/internship within a degree program. An independent study/internship proposal must be approved by the student’s advisor and/or program coordinator as well as the coordinator or chair of the department offering the course.

Students preparing a report for research, special project, internship, or independent study may be asked to follow the guidelines presented in the UNH Dissertation and Thesis Manual (2nd edition, 1998), copies of which are available on the University website, and in the Bookstore.


Completion of a thesis is optional for master’s degree programs. A number of preliminary steps are required before registration for the thesis is accepted by the Registrar. The student completes the Proposal for Thesis form (available online or at the Graduate Records Office), in which the proposed subject, hypothesis, and methodology are described. The student secures the approval signature of a faculty member who will serve as the thesis advisor. The student must also secure approval of the proposed thesis and thesis advisor from the department chair and/or program coordinator and the Associate Provost for Graduate Studies. Only after the Registrar has received the approved form is the student permitted to register for the thesis. A thesis will carry no fewer than six academic credits taken over no fewer than two academic terms. A preliminary draft must be presented to the advisor at least 75 days prior to commencement. Upon approval by the advisor and the program coordinator, unbound copies are presented to the Associate Provost for Graduate Studies. A date and time are then scheduled by the thesis advisor for the thesis defense before the student’s thesis committee and the Associate Provost for Graduate Studies or a designee. Successful defense of the thesis must be completed at least three weeks prior to the date of commencement. Students must complete and defend the thesis within the time limit for completion of the degree.

After successful defense of the thesis and approval by the Associate Provost for Graduate Studies, thesis credit is awarded, and final, unbound copies are deposited with the Associate Provost for Graduate Studies to be forwarded for binding at the University library, where the thesis becomes a part of the permanent collection. Additional copies may be required by the department or the program coordinator.

For guidance in the preparation of theses, graduate students should consult the University’s Dissertation and Thesis Manual (2nd edition, 1998), copies of which are available on the University website and in the Bookstore. Questions not resolved by the instructions should be resolved in consultation with the advisor and by reference to a standard style manual.

Graduate Certificates

The Graduate School offers a number of graduate certificates designed as options for those having a baccalaureate degree, or a master’s degree, who want to enroll in a part-time, short, coherent course of study at the graduate level. Those who may not be ready to commit to a full-length graduate program, as well as those who already hold a graduate degree but want to pursue additional work in the same or another field, may find that a certificate provides the perfect alternative.

Students applying to Graduate School certificate program must complete the Graduate School application form, submit official transcripts showing completion of undergraduate/baccalaureate degree, and also submit two letters of recommendation. Inasmuch as the certificates are not graduate degrees, students may transfer credits earned toward a certificate into a master’s program at any time, subject to the requirements of the master’s degree, the decision of the program coordinator, and acceptance into the master’s program. Although students who complete the requirements for a graduate certificate do not attend commencement, a certificate is awarded by the University to each student who qualifies.

Upon completion of the course requirements, a petition requesting issuance of the certificate must be executed. The form is available online and can be submitted online along with the required fee.

Students enrolled in master’s degree programs who meet the qualifications for the awarding of a certificate during pursuit of the master’s degree, but prior to petitioning for graduation, may submit a petition for certification. The course work is reviewed by the certificate advisor and the graduate Registrar. If the work is found to be complete and satisfactory, the certificate will be mailed to the student. A minimum QPR of 3.0 is required as satisfactory performance in courses taken at the University to qualify for the awarding of a graduate certificate.

Certificate Requirements

Required course work usually consists of 12 to 20 credits of graduate study, depending on the subject area selected. Students should contact the faculty advisor for assistance in planning the course of study for the selected certificate. A student may seek approval from the academic advisor for one course of transfer credit from another institution or program to be used to satisfy the requirements of the certificate. Course substitutions may be granted by the certificate advisor. Course credits used to satisfy the requirements for one certificate may not be used toward the completion of a second certificate. Students must meet course prerequisite requirements. Credits for courses taken as prerequisites for certificate courses must be taken in addition to the certificate requirements.

Academic Advising

It is the student’s responsibility to select courses in accordance with prerequisites, advisor recommendations, the departmental plan of study (if required), and requirements for the degree. Students needing further explanation of program requirements or course sequencing should request academic advisement. Appointments for academic counseling are scheduled through concentration advisors or program coordinators. Advisement sessions are held prior to each trimester. It is the student’s responsibility to meet the stated requirements for the degree. However, a student is not required to file a formal plan of study with the Graduate School.

Grievance Procedure

A formal policy for handling student grievances appears in the Student Handbook, which is available on the University website.

Notification of Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records, as follows:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access. Students should submit to the Registrar, dean, head of academic department, or other appropriate official written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading. Students may ask the University to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding hearing procedures will be provided to the student when he or she is notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University of New Haven to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA are as follows: Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue S.W., Washington, DC 20202-4605. Independent of the FERPA requirement, University policy relating to privacy of student academic and disciplinary records is as follows: Faculty and/or staff disclosure to others (including parents or guardians) of student academic information or disciplinary action requires a release from the affected student. Such a release should be obtained using a standard UNH form, which will be filed with the student’s academic record (Registrar) or/and with the office of the Dean of Students.
  4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University of New Haven to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA are as follows: Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 600 Independence Avenue S.W., Washington, D.C. 20202-4605.

Diversity Policy

The University of New Haven is committed to achieving a diverse and pluralistic community that reflects the multiracial and culturally diverse society in contemporary America. The Diversity Committee (a standing committee of the University) has been established to guide the University in implementing the Diversity Policy. The University will work toward attracting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff, and student body for the purpose of creating a pluralistic scholarly community. The Committee will assist the administration in the development and implementation of programs and policies that support an enriched educational experience for a diverse University community. The University of New Haven does not discriminate in admissions, educational programs, or employment against any individual on account of that individual’s gender, race, color, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin.

Drug-Free and Smoke-Free Environment

Drug-Free Policy

In accordance with federal law concerning a drug-free campus environment, relevant University policy and regulations are provided for students and employees. Upon request, information is available from Student Affairs.

Smoke-Free Policy

In order to provide a healthful, comfortable, and productive campus environment for UNH faculty, staff, students, and guests, the University of New Haven has adopted a smoke-free policy.

No smoking is allowed in any campus administrative, academic, or recreational building. This restriction applies to all UNH offices, classrooms, hallways, stairwells, restrooms, dining facilities, conference/meeting facilities, athletic facilities, and any other public spaces within these buildings. Smoking is limited to areas that are twenty feet away from entrances to University buildings. Signs placed on the entrances inform everyone of the policy, and ash receptacles are placed twenty feet away from entrances. This is not meant to be punitive to those who smoke but only to allow everyone to enter our buildings without breathing unwanted smoke. It is our responsibility as University community members to gently inform those who are not following the rules to please move away from the entrance. Smoking in residence halls is restricted to rooms, suites, and apartments that have been designated as allowing smoking as agreed upon by the roommates. Smoking is not allowed in lobbies, hallways, laundry rooms, meeting rooms, community rooms, or any other public spaces within the residence halls.

Cooperation is expected from all members of the University and their guests. To register a complaint against a non-compliant individual, contact either of the following offices:

Student Affairs: 203.932.7199
Human Resources: 203.932.7240

This policy applies to all UNH facilities in West Haven and Southeastern operations, as well as to off-campus class sites and other locations where UNH may, in the future, establish operations.

Student Right-to-Know and Campus Security Act

In accordance with Connecticut Public Act 90-259 concerning campus safety and the 1990 federal law PL101-542 (the Student Right-to-Know and Campus Security Act), all colleges and universities receiving state and federal financial assistance are required to maintain specific information related to campus crime statistics and security measures, annually provide such information to students and employees, and make the data available to prospective students and employees upon request.

At the University of New Haven, the required information is compiled and published annually by the University Police Department.

Policy on Cell Phones and Beepers

Ringing cell phones and beepers are disruptive to classes, presentations, productions, and other public events. As a matter of courtesy, the University of New Haven requests that communication devices be turned off or disabled during classes or public events. Individual discretion should be used to determine when to make exceptions related to emergency personnel or situations.