The Masters in Esports Business program provides students with the necessary mix of theoretical and practical education to succeed as employees and future leaders in esports and esports-adjacent industries. Delivered by a mix of academics and high-level practitioners, the courses in this program will prepare students to navigate the interaction between different industry stakeholders in order to conceptualize, develop, and execute major esports business projects. This program develops a concrete set of functional skills needed to engage with all aspects of the industry.
Students will perform a deep analysis of the esports industry to understand stakeholder motivations and recognize gaps in the market. Students will also integrate other key concepts related to esports business such as promoting a culture of health in esports organizations, ensuring sporting integrity in esports competitions, maximizing returns from the live streaming economy and capitalizing on entrepreneurship opportunities in the esports industry. This program culminates in a capstone course where students plan an esports event incorporating insights into present and future esports fan demographic changes, cooperation with endemic and non-endemic sponsors and integration of present and near-future broadcasting technologies.
The MS in Esports Business program requires 33 graduate credits.
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
• Analyze the motivations and opportunities of stakeholders in esports;
• Evaluate the markets facing an esports organization for potential opportunities and/or efficiencies;
• Evaluate the impact of future domestic and international demographic shifts on the profitability of a potential esports opportunity or existing property;
• Incorporate analysis of fan behavior into a marketing strategy for an esports property
• Develop a marketing plan for an esports organization;
• Critically evaluate the business rationale for engaging specific groups of esports stakeholders;
• Analyze the value proposition of select esports genres, and titles;
• Evaluate an esports organization's use of best practices with regard to the health of its participants;
• Develop a plan for leading organizational change to incorporate diversity and inclusion;
• Develop a plan for an esports tournament organizer to implement integrity measures to safeguard the principles of fair and clean competition;
• Develop an engagement plan for both endemic and non-endemic sponsors as part of an esports event;
• Develop a strategy to deploy an online live streaming broadcast.