2011-2013 Graduate Catalog 
    Sep 18, 2021  
2011-2013 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Tuition, Fees, and Financial Aid

Following are the tuition, fees, and charges effective for the fall 2009 term. The University reserves the right, at any time, to make whatever changes it may deem necessary in admission requirements, fees, charges, tuition, policies, regulations, and academic programs prior to the start of any class, semester, trimester, or session.

Master’s Tuition

Auditor, per credit, for UNH alumni, $100
Tuition, per credit $700
Tuition, per 3-credit course $2100
Executive M.B.A., complete program $49,840
M.S. in Engineering Management, complete program $44,010
Cohort Certificate Programs (12 credits) $9,780
M.S. in Industrial and Organizational Psychology (2 years) $39,120
M.S. in Education Internship 727 (1 year) No tuition fee (except for student fees)
M.S. in Education Capstone 727 $25,200
M.S. in Education Professional Education 728 $25,200
Student Teaching (only with 727 Program) $4,200
M.B.A. Cohort $39,120
M.P.A. (2 years) $34,230
M.S. Computer Science Cohort $39,120
M.S. Labor Relations Cohort $24,450
M.S. Taxation Cohort $24,450
Auditor, per credit $150
E 600 - English Language Workshop  $2100
Crediting examination $300

Master’s Nonrefundable Fees

Application $50
Executive MBA application $50
Auditor application $50
Continuing registration $150
Co-op registration,  
Graduate Student Council, per term $20
Graduation refiling $50
Health insurance (per year, all full-time domestic students) $240
International student acceptance $200
International student health insurance premium (per year) $700
Laboratory $60-$310
Late payment (after scheduled due date)* $50
Late registration, current students $25
Technology, per trimester $25
Comprehensive examination $300

Doctoral Dissertation Nonrefundable Fee

Dissertation copyright and filing $125

*A late fee of $50 plus 1.5 percent per month penalty will be assessed on outstanding balances.

Technology Fee

The technology fee entitles each student to one copy of Microsoft Office for the Mac or PC, which can be used during study at UNH and retained upon graduation from the University. Other benefits of the technology fee include upgrades to library and lab computers, installation and support of the wireless network, and student tech support and staffing.


A deposit of $40 per course must be paid at the time of registration; the balance is due no later than the end of the first week of classes. The deposit is not refundable should you decide not to enroll in the courses for which you originally registered. If payment is made by American Express, MasterCard, or VISA, please include your card number, expiration date, and 3-digit security code.

For students who have not completed payment of tuition and fees by the end of the first week of classes, a charge of $50 plus 1.5 percent per month will be assessed on outstanding balances. An invoice for final payment will not be available through epay until after the due date has passed and late fees have been assessed.

Note: A tuition receipt from the Bursar’s Office does not guarantee a reserved seat in class; only that tuition and fees have been paid.

Students are responsible for payment of tuition to the University, even though they may be eligible for their employer’s tuition reimbursement plan. Students are responsible for making arrangements with their employers for reimbursement.

The University withholds the giving of grades, the awarding of diplomas, the issuance of transcripts, and the granting of honorable dismissal to any student whose account is in arrears.


A student may withdraw from a course through the seventh week of the trimester without a notation on the transcript. After the seventh week, withdrawal from a course may be granted only by the instructor, and a grade of W is recorded on the student’s transcript at the end of the term.

To be eligible for a cancellation or refund of tuition charges, students must formally withdraw from the course under the University’s self-service on-line registration system. The date of online withdrawal determines the amount of the refund, if any, due the student.


The refund policy for graduate students who withdraw from any course or from any program (with the exception of the Executive Master of Business Administration, Master of Science in Engineering Management, the Master of Business Administration cohort, and the Human Nutrition programs) is as follows: 100 percent cancellation of tuition upon formal withdrawal prior to the first regularly scheduled class meeting; 80 percent cancellation of tuition upon formal withdrawal prior to the second regularly scheduled class meeting; 60 percent cancellation of tuition upon formal withdrawal prior to the third regularly scheduled class meeting; 40 percent cancellation of tuition upon formal withdrawal prior to the fourth regularly scheduled class meeting; 20 percent cancellation of tuition upon formal withdrawal prior to the fifth regularly scheduled class meeting. No cancellation is made after the fifth regularly scheduled class meeting. Any refund amount is credited to the student’s UNH account or, if requested, may be credited to the student’s credit card account or issued directly as a check.

No refunds are made for courses taken and subsequently waived.

The refund policy for the Executive MBA program is as follows: for EMBA students who withdraw after completion of one module or less, one-half of the year’s tuition is cancelled.

Information regarding the refund policy for the Human Nutrition program is available from the director.

Financial Aid

The University of New Haven offers a comprehensive program of financial assistance to qualified students, including assistantships and student loans. Application procedures for financial assistance are detailed below and are also available at the UNH website (www.newhaven.edu).

Financial aid award decisions are made after careful consideration of a student’s application for assistance. Eligibility for financial aid is based on financial need. Need is determined by subtracting the Expected Family Contribution (EFC), as determined by the federal “needs analysis” formula using the financial information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), from the Cost of Attendance. In calculating need, the Financial Aid Office attempts to consider all aspects of a student’s financial circumstances and to meet the need for aid through a package of assistance, generally consisting of a combination of subsidized and unsubsidized loans and, when applicable, merit-based awards; i.e., assistantships and fellowships. Need-based financial aid programs are available to matriculated students who are U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens who are matriculated and enrolled on at least a half-time basis. Merit-based programs are open to all matriculated students.

Non-Need-Based Programs (U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens only)

  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans - Eligible students may borrow up to $20,500 per academic year.  Interest accrues while the student is in school and during periods of deferment. The federal government does not pay the interest. The student can make monthly or quarterly payments to the lender, or the student and the lender may agree to add the interest to the principal of the loan (capitalization).

Merit-Based Programs (open to matriculated students)

  • Assistantships-Assistantships are competitive appointments available to full-time students. Graduate assistants may work up to 20 hours per week and receive an hourly compensation as well as 50 percent tuition support. Applications for assistantships are made available in early spring for the following year. Applications and further information may be obtained via the University website. The majority of assistantships are awarded as part of the admissions process. Students are notified at the time of admission to the University if they have qualified for an assistantship. An open application process for any unfilled positions is held annually in May. Appointments are made for the academic year starting in September.

Alternative Financing Options

Alternative financing options are available to assist students in paying for their educational expenses up to their Cost of Attendance. Eligibility for supplemental loans is not based on financial need or a financial aid application. Generally, students must be enrolled at least half-time and must undergo a credit review to qualify. The Graduate PLUS loan is a federal alternative loan for which students may apply if they have already been approved for and awarded Stafford loans. For updated information on Graduate PLUS loan interest rates and terms please refer to the UNH website. There are several other alternative loan options with private lenders. More information regarding these loans and financing options is available on the UNH website.

Application Procedure

Applications for graduate financial aid are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the academic year. However, to ensure that aid is awarded in a timely manner and is available at the beginning of each trimester, students should adhere to the following priority application deadlines. Students applying for need-based and non-need-based assistance must submit the documents listed below by March 1 for the fall trimester/academic year; October 15 for the winter trimester; and January 15 for the spring trimester.

  • Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)-This form is required to apply for financial aid from federal student financial aid programs. The UNH code number is 001397. Students can complete the FAFSA on the Internet at www.fafsa.ed.gov, or via the link on the UNH website.
  • Verification- A student may be selected for a process called verification by submitting an aid application and completing the FAFSA. Selected students are required to submit a signed and completed verification worksheet (provided by the University) and a copiy of their federal income tax transcript (and those of their spouses, if applicable)
  • Additional Information-Other forms and documents may be requested as the aid application is reviewed.

Financial Aid Refund Policy

Students who withdraw from courses prior to the end of the fifth week of the trimester may be entitled to a full or partial refund of tuition charges. Refunds of charges and financial aid are based on the institutional refund policy, as described in the academic policies section of the University catalog, and on the Return of Title IV Funds calculation, as required by Section 484B of the Higher Education Act. Federal regulations require that any unearned Title IV aid be returned to the program(s) that provided the funds.

Return of Title IV Funds

A withdrawal requires that the University calculate the amount of unearned aid a student has received. The University must do the following:

  • Determine the student’s official withdrawal date as documented in the Registrar’s Office. The withdrawal date is used to determine the percentage of the payment period completed and, therefore, the amount of aid a student earned. Students who have completed more than 60 percent of the term are not subject to the federal calculation.
  • Determine the amount of aid earned by the student. The University calculates earned aid by multiplying the total aid disbursed or which could have been disbursed (excluding Federal Work Study) by the percent of the payment period the student completed.
  • If less aid has been disbursed than a student has earned, then a post-withdrawal disbursement must be made. The University notifies the student in writing within 30 days of the withdrawal date if a post-withdrawal disbursement is available. The student must respond within 14 days of notification in order to receive the funds. The student may accept all or part of the post-withdrawal disbursement. If more aid was disbursed than earned, then the University, the student, or both must return all unearned aid in a specific order:
  1. Unsubsidized Stafford Loans
  2. Subsidized Stafford Loans
  3. Federal Perkins Loan
  4. Federal PLUS Loan
  5. Federal Pell Grants
  6. Federal SEOG
  7. Other Title IV assistance for which return of funds is required

Students are responsible for repaying all unearned aid a school is not required to return, as well as any balance created on their University bursar account by the application of the Title IV return of funds formula. The University notifies the student in writing within 30 days of determining an overpayment. Students must repay as follows:

  • Loans - repayment according to terms of the loan
  • Grants - repayment is 50 percent of unearned grant.

Students who owe Title IV grant repayments have 45 days to pay as follows:

  • Repay in full.
  • Make arrangements to repay the University.
  • Make arrangements to repay the U.S. Department of Education.

Students who fail to take positive action to repay their grants are reported to the Department of Education and the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) immediately after the 45-day period has elapsed. Additional information and examples of refund calculations are available in the Financial Aid Office.

Academic Requirements for the Retention of Financial Aid Eligibility

In accordance with federal regulations all financial aid recipients are required to make satisfactory academic progress (SAP) towards their degree and be in good academic standing in order to remain eligible to receive financial aid. In other words, you must achieve a certain number of credits over a period of time, called “pace”, and a certain cumulative GPA each year. At the end of the spring trimester, we will check your academic transcript to make sure that you have achieved the required pace/cumulative GPA and are not on academic probation. If you do not make satisfactory academic progress then you will not be eligible to receive financial aid for the next school year until you are in good standing. All financial aid including federal student loans, federal PLUS loans, grants, scholarships, and work study are subject to meeting the minimum SAP standards set by the university.

Graduate students must successfully complete all the credits for which financial aid has been awarded, as indicated on your financial aid award. “Successful completion” is defined as the receipt of a passing grade (A to D-). Grades of F (Failure), W (Withdrawal), U (Unsatisfactory), DNA (Did Not Attend), or INC (Incomplete) are not considered successful completion. In addition, all graduate students must maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative quality point ratio (QPR) in order to be in good academic standing. Click here for additional information.

A student’s academic progress is checked at the end of the spring trimester (July/August). The Financial Aid Office will mail a letter to each student who fails to maintain the minimum academic progress standards detailing their deficiencies and the steps for reinstating financial aid eligibility. Students who have lost their financial aid eligibility have the opportunity to appeal for reinstatement.

The student must write a detailed letter explaining the extenuating circumstances (death, divorce, illness, etc) that hindered them from making satisfactory progress. The letter must come complete with documentation of the extenuating circumstances (death certificates, doctor’s note, etc.), and explain what has changed that will allow the student to make satisfactory academic progress at the next evaluation period.

A financial aid appeals committee made up of various members of the University community, including academic and administrative personnel, will meet to review the appeal letters. Decisions to reinstate eligibility or deny and appeal are made in a fair and equitable manner based on the information the student provided in the letter, the supporting documentation, and a review of the academic record. If the financial aid appeals committee approves the appeal then the student will be awarded their financial aid package for one trimester following the appeal and would be considered on “Financial Aid probation”. After completion of that term, the student must meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements to be eligible for aid for future trimesters. If the appeals committee upholds the loss of financial aid then the student will need to make payment arrangements with the bursar’s office.

The maximum timeframe a student has to complete the requirements for their master’s degree or certificate is within five years of the date of completion of the first course following formal application to the program.


Internships enable students to integrate the experiential learning of the workplace with the theoretical work of the classroom. The Career Services Office provides résumé and interviewing assistance in preparation for internship participation. Internship employers include large corporations, small businesses, government agencies, and nonprofit organizations. Some degree programs require academic internships. In disciplines where Internships are not required, it is still highly recommended that students undertake at least one internship experience before graduating. This is called a co-curricular internship. Certain requirements must be met for eligibility for academic, credit-bearing internships. Whether academic or co-curricular, internship assignments may be 1) full-time or part-time, 2) undertaken during the school year or the summer, and 3) of varying duration. Students interested in registering for an academic internship should contact the faculty advisor in their program of study. Students interested in co-curricular internships should review the internship web page on the UNH website, and then contact the Internship Office with specific questions.