Requirements for Minors
- At least 50% of the minor courses must be unduplicated, i.e., not used to simultaneously satisfy credit requirements of the major, core curriculum, or additional minors.
- At least 50% of the minor courses must be completed in residence at UNH.
- A minimum GPA of 2.0 is required in the minor (programs may set higher requirements).
- A student may not declare a major and minor in the same program.
The Public Administration Minor introduces students to the fundamental components of public organizations, how they differ from private organizations, and the value they hold in our society. The courses will cover key areas such as budgeting, policy, human resource management, and planning. The challenges of efficient and productive organizational management will also be discussed, particularly in terms of scarce resources, political influences, and power dynamics. Students will develop the necessary skills to navigate and excel in public organizations and become effective public leaders.
Upon completion of the Public Administration Minor, students will be able to:
• apply management principles when profit is not a factor;
• explain the public budgeting process, including the many steps involved as well as the influences of power and internal and external politics;
• have a clear understanding of the human resource managment processes and challenges inherent in the public sector, including collective bargaining;
• know why policies are developed, by whom, and how to analyze a policy and choose among policy alternatives.