2018-2019 Graduate Catalog 
    Jul 18, 2024  
2018-2019 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Tuition, Fees, and Financial Aid

Following are the tuition, fees, and charges effective for the Fall 2018 term. The University reserves the right, at any time, to make whatever changes it may deem necessary in admission requirements, fees, charges, tuition, policies, regulations, and academic programs prior to the start of any class, semester, or session.  Please refer to the Bursar's Office website for the most current up to date rates.

Master's Tuition

  Per Credit Hour   Total Program Cost
Graduate Tuition $915    
MBA Tuition      
     15 Hour concentration - 48 credits $915    
     Accounting, Finance and other 15 hour      
concentrations - 51 credits $915    
     Certified Financial Analyst and other 18 hour      
concentrations - 54 credits    $915    
Graduate General Fee - Part Time $90    
Graduate General Fee - Full Time $110    
Cohort Programs Per credit 2017-2018 Per credit 2018-2019 Total Program Cost
EMBA (2 years) $1,090 $1,120 $62,720
M.S. Taxation (1 year) $890 $915 $27,450
Health Care Cohort $890 $990 $41,580
Tuition (per credit hour) $915    
Mandatory Technology Fee (per term) $40    
Online Course Fee (max $150 per term) $25 per credit    


Master's Nonrefundable Fees

Application for International Students $75
Tuition Deposit (for certain programs) $300
Technology Fee (Summer only) $40
Continuing Registration Fee $150
Co-op Registration (Full Time) $150
Co-op Registration (Part Time) $75
Late Payment Fee - monthly 1.00%
Comprehensive Examination Fee $300
Crediting Examination Fee (per credit) $100
Lab fees $25 - $4,000
Doctoral Dissertation copyright and filing fee $150
Diploma Reorder Fee $50
Returned Check fee $30
Refund Check Stop Payment and Reissue Fee $20
Student Health Insurance  
Full time International Health Insurance Fee (mandatory) $1,400
Full time Domestic Health Insurance Fee (optional) $1,400


All university bills are due to be paid on time. If the payment is not received by the designated due date, you may be assessed a late fee each month equal to 1% of your unpaid balance as well as have a financial hold placed on your record.  This hold will restrict you from scheduling/registering for future classes, requesting transcripts, and receiving your diploma. 

The administrative hold is only removed after the outstanding balance is paid in full. Should a bill remain outstanding for an extended period of time, the account will be referred to an outside collection agency and an additional collection fee will be added to the balance due. The student will be responsible for paying this additional fee. The account will also be reported to a national credit bureau.

NOTE: Students are responsible for payment of tuition to the University, even though they may be eligible for their employer's tuition reimbursement plan. Students are responsible for making arrangements with their employers for reimbursement

Course Withdrawal Policy

Full-time or part-time, graduate or undergraduate, students may withdraw from a full term course prior to the end of the tenth week of classes.  If a course meets less than the 15 week term, the student may withdraw from the course prior to the two thirds mark of the course.  The student should verify the date for withdrawal from courses meeting less than 15 weeks with the Office of the University Registrar (Bergami Hall).  The deadline for students to withdraw from full term courses will be published in the academic calendar.

Course Withdrawal

During the first two thirds of a class, any student may withdraw and receive a final grade of W on their academic transcript by:

  • Considering the academic consequences: consulting with his or her academic advisor or program coordinator is recommended.
  • Considering the financial, billing, and US immigration implications:  consulting with the Financial Aid Office, Bursar's Office and, if applicable, the International Office is recommended.
  • Filling out the "Course Withdrawal Form" which includes documenting the student's last date of attendance for financial aid and billing purposes.
  • Having the form signed as required.
  • Submitting the form to the Office of the University Registrar.


To be eligible for a cancellation or refund of tuition charges, students must formally withdraw from the course under the University's self-service on-line registration system. The date of online withdrawal determines the amount of the refund, if any, due the student.

Tuition may be refunded in full when a class is closed, full, canceled or when the university rejects the enrollment application. If a student chooses to drop or withdraw from a course, the following schedule applies:

Date of Withdrawal Percentage Charged Transcript
Pre-registration  period through the first day of classes 0% Dropped no grade
Second day of classes through the end of the first week 20% 'W' grade on transcript
Through the end of the second week of classes 40% 'W' grade on transcript
Through the end of the third week of classes 60% 'W' grade on transcript
Through the end of the fourth week of classes 80% 'W' grade on transcript
From the fifth week of classes to the end of the term 100% 'W' grade on transcript

* Consult the Academic Calendar on the UNH website for term specific deadline dates.

Any refund amount is credited to the student's UNH account or, if requested, may be credited to the student's credit card account or issued directly as a check.  No refunds are made for courses taken and subsequently waived.

Financial Aid

The University of New Haven offers a comprehensive program of financial assistance to qualified students, including assistantships and student loans. Application procedures for financial assistance are detailed below and are also available at the university website (www.newhaven.edu).

Financial aid award decisions are made after careful consideration of a student's application for assistance. Eligibility for financial aid is based on financial need. Need is determined by subtracting the Expected Family Contribution (EFC), as determined by the federal "needs analysis" formula using the financial information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), from the Cost of Attendance. In calculating need, the Financial Aid Office attempts to consider all aspects of a student's financial circumstances and attempt to meet the need for aid through a package of assistance, generally consisting of unsubsidized loans and, when applicable, merit-based awards; i.e., assistantships and fellowships. Need-based financial aid programs are available to matriculated students who are U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens who are enrolled on at least a half-time basis. Merit-based programs are open to all matriculated students.

Non-Need-Based Programs (U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens only)

  • Federal Direct UnsubsidizedStafford Loans - Eligible students may borrow up to $20,500 per academic year.  Interest accrues while the student is in school and during periods of deferment. The federal government does not pay the interest. The student can make monthly or quarterly payments to the lender, or the student and the lender may agree that the student will not make interest payments and instead add the interest to the principal of the loan (capitalization).

Merit-Based Programs (open to matriculated students)

The University of New Haven offers its highest achieving incoming graduate students the opportunity to participate in the Experiential Graduate Assistantship Program (EGAP). Students offered a Graduate Assistantship (GA) position in this highly competitive program will work 15 - 20 hours per week for an academic or administrative department within the university.  In return students will receive an experiential learning and work opportunity, a 75% tuition discount, and an hourly wage. Students will be selected as potential EGAP candidates when their application is reviewed by faculty for admission. EGAP candidates will be notified that they are being considered for the program and will be invited to participate in the interview process.  

In order to be eligible for the EGAP program, students must be accepted to a graduate program at a full-time student status (9 credits or more). Students must also demonstrate excellent academic and/or professional performance (GPA requirements will vary by program). A resume should be included in the admissions application. Upon being selected for a position, prospective students will be asked to submit a deposit to indicate their commitment.

Additional Financing Options

Generally, students must be enrolled at least half-time and must undergo a credit review to qualify for additional financing options. The Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan is a federal loan for which students may apply if they have already been approved for and awarded a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford loans. For updated information on Graduate PLUS loan interest rates and terms please refer to the university financial aid website.

Private alternative loan options are available to assist students in paying for their educational expenses up to their Cost of Attendance. Eligibility for private loans is not based on financial need or a FAFSA. There are several other alternative loan options with private lenders. More information regarding these loans and financing options is available on the university website.

Application Procedure

Applications for graduate financial aid are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the academic year. However, to ensure that aid is awarded in a timely manner and is available at the beginning of each term, students should adhere to the following priority application deadlines. Students applying for need-based and non-need-based assistance must submit the documents listed below by March 1 for the fall term/academic year; November 15 for the Spring term.

  • Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)-This form is required to apply for financial aid from federal student financial aid programs. The University of New Haven school code is 001397. Students can complete the FAFSA on the Internet at www.fafsa.gov, or via the link on the UNH financial aid website. Financial Aid applications must be completed three weeks prior to the last day of the term or academic year for which you are seeking aid in order to ensure enough time is available for processing and dispursing of funds. Completing your application too late may result in the inability to process any financial aid for the academic term or year.
  • Verification- A student may be selected for a process called verification by submitting the FAFSA. Selected students are required to submit a signed and completed verification worksheet (provided by the University) and a copy of their IRS tax transcript (and those of their spouses, if applicable) if they do not utilize or are unable to utilize the IRS Data Retrieval option when completing their FAFSA. Students are asked to provide the verification information as soon as possible.  Delays in the receipt of the verification documentation almost always delays the processing and disbursing of your financial aid.  As a result, late fees and holds may be placed on your account so it's important that you pay close attention to the infomation you receive from our office.
  • Additional Information-Other forms and documents may be requested by the Financial Aid Offices as the aid application is reviewed.

Financial Aid Refund Policy

Students who withdraw from courses prior to the end of the fifth week of the term may be entitled to a full or partial refund of tuition charges. Refunds of charges and financial aid are based on the institutional refund policy, as described in the academic policies section of the University catalog, and on the Return of Title IV Funds calculation, as required by Section 484B of the Higher Education Act. Federal regulations require that any unearned Title IV aid be returned to the program(s) that provided the funds.

Return of Title IV Funds

A withdrawal requires that the University calculate the amount of unearned aid a student has received. The University must:

  • Determine the student's official withdrawal date as documented in the Registrar's Office. The withdrawal date is used to determine the percentage of the payment period completed and, therefore, the amount of aid a student earned. Students who have completed more than 60 percent of the term are not subject to the federal calculation.
  • Determine the amount of aid earned by the student. The University calculates earned aid by multiplying the total aid disbursed or which could have been disbursed (excluding Federal Work Study) by the percent of the payment period the student completed.
  • Make a post-withdrawal disbursement if less aid has been disbursed than a student has earned.  The University notifies the student in writing within 30 days of the withdrawal date if a post-withdrawal disbursement is available. The student must respond within 14 days of notification in order to receive the funds. The student may accept all or part of the post-withdrawal disbursement. If more aid was disbursed than earned, then the University, the student, or both must return all unearned aid in a specific order:
  1. Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans
  2. Federal Direct Subsidized Stafford Loans
  3. Federal Perkins Loan
  4. Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan
  5. Federal Pell Grants
  6. Federal SEOG
  7. Other Title IV assistance for which return of funds is required

Students are responsible for repaying all unearned aid a school is not required to return, as well as any balance created on their University bursar account by the application of the Title IV return of funds formula. The University notifies the student in writing within 30 days of determining an overpayment. Students must repay as follows:

  • Loans - repayment according to terms of the loan
  • Grants - repayment is 50 percent of unearned grant.

Students who owe Title IV grant repayments have 45 days to:

  • Repay in full.
  • Make arrangements to repay the University.
  • Make arrangements to repay the U.S. Department of Education.

Students who fail to take positive action to repay their grants are reported to the Department of Education and the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) immediately after the 45-day period has elapsed. Additional information and examples of refund calculations are available in the Financial Aid Office.

Academic Requirements for the Retention of Financial Aid Eligibility

In accordance with federal regulations all financial aid recipients are required to make satisfactory academic progress (SAP) towards their degree and be in good academic standing in order to remain eligible to receive financial aid. In other words, you must achieve a certain number of credits each year, successfully earn 67% of the credits you attempt, called "pace", and a certain cumulative GPA each year. At the end of the spring term, we will review your academic transcript to make sure that you have achieved the required pace/cumulative GPA, appropriate number of credits, and are not on academic probation. If you do not make satisfactory academic progress then you will not be eligible to receive financial aid for the next school year until you are in good standing. All financial aid including federal student loans, federal PLUS loans, grants, scholarships, and work study are subject to meeting the minimum SAP standards set by the university.

As a reminder, "Successful completion" is defined as the receipt of a passing grade (A to D-). Grades of F (Failure), W (Withdrawal), U (Unsatisfactory), DNA (Did Not Attend), or INC (Incomplete) are not considered successful completion.  The only exception is if a student receives an INC in their Thesis, Research Project, Practicum, or Internship. The university allows 3 months for completion of those courses after the end of a term. In some extenuating circumstances the student may be allowed up to one year to complete the INC. In addition, all graduate students must maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative quality point ratio (QPR) in order to be in good academic standing. Click here for additional information.

A student's academic progress is checked at the end of the spring term. The Financial Aid Office will mail a letter to each student who fails to maintain the minimum academic progress standards detailing their deficiencies and the steps for reinstating financial aid eligibility. Students who have lost their financial aid eligibility have the opportunity to appeal for reinstatement.

The student must write a detailed letter explaining the extenuating circumstances (death, divorce, illness, etc) that hindered them from making satisfactory progress. The letter must come complete with documentation of the extenuating circumstances (death certificates, doctor's note, etc.), and explain what has changed that will allow the student to make satisfactory academic progress at the next evaluation period.

A financial aid appeals committee made up of various members of the University community, including academic and administrative personnel, will meet to review the appeal letters. Decisions to reinstate eligibility or deny the appeal are made in a fair and equitable manner based on the information the student provided in the letter, the supporting documentation, and a review of the academic record. If the financial aid appeals committee approves the appeal then the student will be awarded their financial aid package for one term following the appeal and would be considered on "Financial Aid probation". After completion of that term, the student must meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements to be eligible for aid for future terms. If the appeals committee upholds the loss of financial aid then the student will need to make payment arrangements with the Bursar's Office.

The maximum timeframe a student has to complete the requirements for their master's degree or graduate certificate is within five years of the date of completion of the first course following formal application to the program.


Internships enable students to integrate the experiential learning of the workplace with the theoretical work of the classroom. The Career Development Center maintains an online database of available internships, as well as on-campus recruiting events and on-campus interviews to help connect students with available internships.  Additionally, the Carrer Development Center provides résumé and interviewing assistance in preparation for internship participation. Internship employers include large corporations, small businesses, government agencies, and nonprofit organizations. Some degree programs require internships as part of the degree requirement, known as an Academic Internship. In disciplines where Internships are not required, it is still highly recommended that students undertake at least one internship experience before graduating. This is called an "Experience Only"  internship. Certain requirements must be met for eligibility for academic, credit-bearing internships. Whether academic or experience only internship assignments may be 1) full-time or part-time, 2) undertaken during the school year or the summer, and 3) of varying duration. Students interested in registering for an academic internship must contact the faculty advisor in their program of study to learn the process and requirements, and also connect with the Career Development Center to begin searching for Internship opportunities. Students interested in experience only internships should contact Career Development Center for assistance in getting started.